Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sleep Sleep Sleep

I am feeling so refreshed today! I slept about 9 hours last night, the most I have slept in a long time. And boy does it feel GREAT!  Last night was leg day and usually I can barely walk the next day but today my legs aren't that sore! I am guessing it was because of the sleep I was able to make happen last night.  Today’s topic will be on sleep and the importance of it.


The Importance of Sleep


Growing up we all were taught the benefits of sleep and the positive impact it has on our health. But for those who lift weights regularly, sleep is essential for our muscles to recover. Experts say we need 7-9 hours of sleep every day to keep us fit and healthy. There is plenty of research done by scientists who have been studying sleep patterns. Don't be afraid to do your research on what’s out there. 

Think about it, if you aren't getting more than 5 hours of sleep a night, your mood can be affected, there could be a negative impact on your performance and your muscle cell growth and repair cannot happen to the full extent. If you work out hard during the day the chances of falling asleep easier is more probable than those who do not work out during the day. During recovery, our body repairs the damaged tissues we used during that workout. This will allow our muscles to grow!

I have heard so many of my friends say, "I don't have time to work out, I am too busy" or "I am just too tired". Wrong! Could it have something to do with sleep habits? Odds are it does. If you learn to shuffle your schedule around; wake up earlier, this will keep you accountable and you will see a noticeably difference in you sleep schedule.

I used to work out in the evenings in my early college days and found out the hard way that I couldn't fall asleep thereafter. Never exercise 2-3 hours before sleep so your body can prepare itself for a quality sleep session. Your recovery and growth can be negatively affected if you do not prioritize sleep. Your stimulating your body which raises your body temperature (i.e you sweating!) which is what you do not want at bedtime. 

For me working out in the late afternoons (between 3-pm) is the best! My body temperature will be raised after I exercise and then start to decrease by the time I am ready to go to sleep. If you have a knack for sleeping in constantly it is time to shuffle around your day. Get up in morning and get your stuff going. No excuses; No matter what! That way if you wake up let's say around 7:00am, workout, eat breakfast, you are on the right path to get all your meals done by 7:00pm! (waiting 4 hours between meals and drinking green tea) You do not want to eat large meals past pm. It is a waste of calories. Get up earlier and exercise in the morning; this will help relieve stress and improve your mood. Also this will help you get a jump start to your busy day! 

If you want to sleep better at night, the key is to choose the correct exercise and what time of day you engage in it. Obviously 1-2 nights of poor sleep schedule will not essentially have an impact on your performance but if you are consistently getting inadequate sleep then you won't recover, and lose weight, or get stronger. The greater your workout load, the greater recovery you will need!

If you want to get faster, get stronger than sleep and remember BALANCE :)




*Peace and Blessings*


Luciana Reichel

1 comment: